Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Graveyard - Graveyard - 2008 Tee Pee Records


Graveyard - Self Titled (2008) Tee Pee Records
This is the album that got me into the genre of music that I currently listen to. I happened to be browsing rollingstone.com in search for information on Stone Temple Pilots when I came across a small two paragraph article one of the writers had written on Graveyard after seeing them at the SXSW festival in 2007. The picture of the band is what stuck out to me and drew me to read the article. I tried to find the article for reference to this review but it has disappeared off of the website. Anyways, it was mentioned that they were good and they put on a solid show. The author mentioned that fans of Cream and Pink Floyd would like these guys. I like Pink Floyd, come on now, who doesn't? A quick Google search came up with a few links with their Myspace page being the first one. The first few seconds of the first track posted, Thin Line had me hooked. I was frantic. I had to have the album and I had to have it now! I looked on Ebay and placed a few bids on some auctions. I then decided to check iTunes. It was on iTunes so I bought it. A few hours later I checked my email and got some messages from Ebay. I won not one but two auctions for Graveyards cd. I was now the owner of two physical copies of the album as well as one digital copy. I got two other people I know hooked on the album so I was able to recoup a little bit back and turned a few others into fans of the band.

Here is the bands description as copied from their Myspace page: Born in Gothenburg, November 2006. We recorded our first two songs after about one month. After just a few months and a couple of shows we signed with Transubstans records & TeePee records. Our debut album is available from Transubstans if you live in Europe and from Teepee if you live in North America. See banners below. Vinyl versions are available in both Europe and the states. The album is produced by Don Ahlsterberg (Soundtrack of our lives, the International Noise Conspiracy, José Gonzalez, Division of Laura Lee etc)

The album has two things I like about right off of the bat. It's not to long with nine songs and total listening time of less then 40 minutes. The second is the unique sound from the way it was recorded to the tuning of the instruments. The whole album has a definite late 60's to mid 70's sound to it. The band recorded the album in analog to give it that unique sound to it. Add in a little bit of psychedelic tones here and there in songs such as "As The Years Pass By, The Hours Bend" and the album captures that whole feel from that time frame. Flat out the whole album rocks and rocks hard! I would agree with the author of the Rollingstone article that fans of Pink Floyd would like these guys but don't expect any off the wall or trippy movements in the music like in "Dark Side of The Moon" or "The Wall." This album doesn't have it.

There is a lyric in the last song, "Satan's Finest" that says "making you want them, and begging for more." It rings true with this album. After my first listen I was begging for more. That was well over a year ago and to this day I'm still waiting for more music from these guys because I know they're capable of more great music. They did do a five week tour in the US recently but I unfortunately was unable to attend. I may have to wait another year or two until they come out this way again, hopefully not. I did come across a bootleg of the Roadburn show they played in 2007 and if that is an indication of how good they are live then everyone is in for a treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment